Share

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Time to Write

It's been a long time since I've written. The past few months have been hectic, and that's really about all I can say. My wife and I bought our first home, so with moving, repairs, and all the little things, I have barely had time for even a Facebook post. Thankfully, I'm taking a break between jobs, which means I have time to write. I have time for my audience. Yes, that means I have time ... for YOU!


So go ahead. Write back! Comment. Post up your own ideas and questions. Ask me anything.

I'll start with the first couple of questions.

What am I writing right now?

Aside from this post, of course, I'm working on my novel. It's been too long since I picked up a pen or pencil for anything that didn't require a legal signature somewhere on it. When I opened up my laptop, and looked at my latest version of my novel, it was THREE MONTHS ago! This made me depressed momentarily, but instead of sinking into that depression, I took advantage of the situation, and I WROTE.

I wrote a few pages of HTML code, creating a timeline for the history of Diluvia, the fictional world in which my story takes place. I wrote up the history of the world and its connection with Earth. Most importantly, I wrote a few lines of the actual novel, or at least a quick summary of certain events. It feels good to be writing again.



Why did this take so long?

There are a lot of answers to this question.

  • Boredom?
  • Lack of self-esteem?
  • Loss of data?
  • Forgotten information?

All of these could play a role. Writer's block may be a part as well, but I think the most difficult hurdle has been the lack of time. My commute to work has been an hour long ... and that's just one way. On top of that, I was working a LOT of overtime. It was high time I just took a break and had time for myself. Time to spend with my wife. Time to spend outdoors. Time to get buried in a novel. Time to write.

Where is this going next?

For starters, I finally have my own web domain! This is something I should have done from the beginning, but FictionalScientific.com is now official, and I'm excited about what it can become, with your help!

Who knows for sure what's next in life though. I'm currently preparing for classes at a local community college. It's time I made the IT in IT Madsen a bit more official. While it's actually part of my name, I think it would be really cool to be an IT. Who knows? I may work for a school system. I may work for a tech company. I may be the network guy for some big firm. IT plays a big role in Washington State's economy, so it will be nice to become a part of that.

My new career is a step in the right direction. I'll be an installer for a local cable company. I'll be able to network with people in my community and become more than just a face in a car they pass by on the way to or from work.

All in all, as a writer, it was a struggle for me to give up my passion for so long. It's been more than just the past 3 months. Just look at my latest post on this blog! It gave up the blog long before I gave up time for my story. To make a long story short though, the moral is, never give up on your dreams, your passions, or your hobbies. If you love doing something, make time for it. If that means giving up a job and finding something else that will give you the time, DO IT.

Make time in life for the things that really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment